Click here to view all Trip Albums
Indulge your passion for history, food, wine and the region’s most celebrated beverage, Port, as you discover the warmth of Portugal! Your journey will begin in the fascinating and vibrant coastal city of Porto. This is a historic city of hidden delights, from the warren of narrow streets of the ancient riverside district of Ribeira, to the grand plazas of the Avenida dos Aliados, the stately bridges, intimate squares and gardens, and lively and authentic street life and soulful Fado music. Porto is also one of the most important wine capitals in the world, with ageing port stored in vast cellars along the banks of the Douro River.
You will be staying for three nights at The Yeatman Hotel, a luxurious five star landmark, spectacularly located overlooking the Douro River and the magnificent architecture of the city of Porto beyond. The Yeatman defines the city! It boasts a 1,000 bottle wine cellar, the Michelin starred Gastronomic Restaurant, a world-class Vinotherapy spa, indoor and outdoor swimming pools and breathtaking hotel room terraces that overlook the city.
During your time in Porto you will visit Old Town Porto on a ‘Tuk Tuk’ ending in the famous Matoshinhos Fish Market district for an incredible lunch with the freshest of seafood. You will enjoy wine and port tastings hosted by David Lawrason including an exclusive tour and tasting at Taylor’s Port, for many, the quintessential Port House, established in 1692. Above all others, Taylor’s is regarded as the benchmark for Vintage Port!
A highlight of your visit to Porto will be a rare Wine and Port Dinner, arranged by David Lawrason, at The British Factory House, a prestigious and history-soaked private club rarely seen by non-members. Originally built in the early 19th Century for British merchants (‘factors’) of Porto trading in wool, cod and wine, full membership is still restricted to British directors of British port companies. It will be a very special evening, a definite Gold Medal Plates exclusive, which will include stories from two-time Olympic Gold Medalist in bobsled, Heather Moyse!
We will then journey on a charming and historic train route from Porto to the UNESCO designated Douro Valley in northern Portugal, with its spellbinding natural beauty where vines cling to precipitous hillsides. It is the oldest (1790) demarcated wine region in the world, famous for its port wines but now also modern reds and whites. We will visit exclusive, charming quintas (wineries) and taste with the winemakers, including one of the “Douro Boys”, a group of avant garde producers. We will stay four nights at the magnificent 5 Star 18th century Vintage House Hotel located right on the Douro River. You will be able to explore the striking scenery of the serene Douro River Valley from kayaks or hike though vineyards atop the spectacular hillsides. We will leisurely cruise the river on a traditional rabelo while sipping spectacular wines from the region, ending with a grand BBQ at Quinta da Roêda, an estate acquired by Croft Port in 1889!
Throughout this magic week together there will be unplugged performances by Geoffrey Kelly, John Mann and Matthew Harder, the amazing musicians behind the iconic Spirit of the West Band, who performed their last official concert in April of 2016. They will be joined by multiple Juno nominated singer-songwriter, Danny Michel who has his own traveling TV show called “Dan’s Space Van”, plus amazing musician Rebecca Harder! The grand finale will be a spectacular dinner and concert in the Douro Valley.
Your eight-day, seven-night adventure for two includes:
- Three-nights’ accommodation, including breakfast, at The Yeatman Hotel, a luxurious 5 star Hotel overlooking the stunning panoramic view of the Douro River and the magnificent city of Porto
- Welcome reception, featuring fantastic wines and ports of Portugal on the terrace of The Yeatman Hotel
- An exclusive tour and tasting at Taylor’s Port, for many, the quintessential Port House, established over three centuries ago in 1692!
- An introduction to the wines and ports of Portugal by Canadian wine expert, David Lawrason
- A private and exclusive visit and dinner at The British Factory House, a prestigious private member’s club in Porto secured by David Lawrason where you will learn the history of this club and here stories from Two Time Olympic Gold Medalist in bobsled Heather Moyse!
- Four-night’s accommodation, including breakfast, at the 5 star Vintage House Hotel in the Douro Valley
- A ride down the river on a traditional Rabelo Boat with wine and port tastings followed by a grand BBQ at Quinta da Roêda, an estate acquired by Croft Port in 1889!
- Exclusive wine and port tasting in charming Quintas arranged by our wine expert, David Lawrason including a special tasting at one of the Douro Boys estates
- Unplugged performances by Geoffrey Kelly, John Mann and Matthew Harder, the amazing musicians behind the iconic Spirit of the West Band and Juno nominated singer-songwriter, Danny Michel and amazing musician Rebecca Harder
- Memorable dinner and concert by Geoffrey, John, Matthew, Danny and Rebecca in the Douro Valley
- Comfortable coach or train transportation from Porto to Douro Valley and from Douro Valley to Porto
Optional add-ons (at additional cost):
- A historical tour of Porto on a traditional “Tuk Tuk” followed by a seafood lunch at Matoshinhos Fish Market
- Exclusive off property wine tours hosted by Canada’s premier wine expert, David Lawrason
- Kayaking or hiking in the Douro Valley
Terms and Conditions: ALL SALES ARE FINAL. FLIGHT NOT INCLUDED. Meals only as specified above will be included. Transportation between Porto and Douro Valley return is included. Transportation will also be provided for the various excursions. These prizes are non-negotiable and not convertible to cash. The prize must be redeemed on the dates specified – no exceptions. The recipient agrees to accept the prizes as is, fully aware of any and all restrictions. The redemption processes of these live auctions are the sole responsibility of the successful bidders. The recipient will be required to sign a waiver of liability regarding GMP Services Inc., Gold Medal Plates, Canadian Olympic Foundation (COF) and Canadian Olympic Committee (COC)and their respective employees and volunteers’ involvement in offering, sponsoring, hosting or arranging the events or activities described as part of the above package. The recipients agree to these terms and conditions. Please note: Trips are suitable for those eighteen years of age and older. If you are unable to attend this trip, the trip is transferable to another couple (based on double occupancy) over the age of 18. Gold Medal Plates is an initiative of GMP Services Inc which is a partner of the COC and COF.
TAX RECEIPTS – According to CCRA guidelines items purchased in an auction are not eligible for a tax receipt. Items deemed priceless (value cannot be determined because of individuals considered celebrities) are not eligible for tax receipts. No tax receipts will be issued in lieu of your purchase price if you cannot attend.