Click here to view all Trip Albums
The deep blue Mediterranean beckons in Mallorca. Imagine an island with turquoise-blue seas, secret sparkling coves, glorious beaches, lush green foliage, majestic mountains, soulful, picture-postcard hill-top villages and the vibrant, historical capital of Palma. Mallorca has a rich cultural history, a deep artisan & cultural scene and gastronomic excellence making it an island paradise. For cyclists, the rise and falls of the Tramuntana Mountains makes Mallorca the perfect cycling playground for every level of cyclist and with over 300 days of sunshine, Mallorca is a paradise for hikers, golfers and history buffs!
For four glorious nights you will stay at the majestic and elegant five star Castillo Hotel Son Vida which is high above Palma de Mallorca in the 13th century estate of Son Vida. There are subtropical lush gardens, incredible golf courses and incomparable views of the Bay of Palma.
On this trip some of the highlights will include the cycling and hiking in the spectacular Tramuntana Mountains. As well, there will be an unforgettable Spanish wine tasting by serious wine enthusiast Jim Cuddy and a spectacular dinner and wine tasting of Mallorcan wines at Living Dreams where you will hear Olympic tales from one of Canada’s most decorated Olympians and mentor to Canadian athletes, Marnie McBean. You won’t want to miss a grand BBQ followed by a private concert under the stars with Jim Cuddy, Tom Cochrane, Barney Bentall, fantastic fiddler Anne Lindsay and Jim’s boys – Juno nominated Devin Cuddy and Sam Polley.
On this unique Gold Medal Plates adventure you will also uncover the sights, sounds and aromas in the heart of Barcelona! The seductive seaside city of Barcelona, with its boundless culture, fabled architecture and world-class drinking and dining scene, will be sure to enchant you. Barcelona’s architectural treasures span 2000-plus years. Towering temple columns, ancient city walls and subterranean stone corridors provide a window into Roman-era Barcino. Fast forward a thousand years to the Middle Ages by taking a stroll through the shadowy lanes of the Gothic quarter, past tranquil plazas and soaring 14th-century cathedrals. In other parts of town bloom the sculptural masterpieces of Modernisme, a mix of ingenious and whimsical creations by Gaudí and his Catalan architectural contemporaries. You will get to explore Barcelona and all it has to offer on foot, fat bikes, segways or cycling down the coastline!
For an additional four nights you will stay at the 4.5 star Hotel Le Meridien in Barcelona. It is located on the city’s most famous street, Las Ramblas and you will revel in the lively atmosphere. There will be a fantastic reception and dinner in 1881 Restaurant – on the rooftop of the Catalonia Museum of History which has a terrace boasting a unique and privileged view of the Barcelona skyline and Mediterranean sea. David Lawrason will lead a wine tasting featuring his favourite wines from the area and there will be a spectacular lunch by the sea where Mark Tewksbury, CBC Rio 2016 Olympic Games Special Host and Olympic Gold Medalist from Barcelona 25 years ago, will entertain you with incredible stories. You will also have the opportunity to journey with David Lawrason to the remote, rocky hills of the Priorat wine region, the birthplace of intense, minerally reds that many wine writers and collectors consider to be Spain’s most elite wines. Take in a world famous tapas tour or a tapas wine tour with David. For the cyclists there will be a great day of cycling in the wine district just outside the city. To complete your Barcelona leg you will experience a spectacular wine tasting and dinner at Pacs del Penedès Torres, one of the most admired wine brands in Europe – followed by a concert by Juno-nominees: Danny Michel and Jeremy Fisher!
It promises to be an unforgettable adventure in two of Spain’s hottest destinations – Mallorca and Barcelona!
Your nine-day, eight-night adventure for two includes:
- Four-night’s accommodation including breakfast at the Castillo Hotel Son Vida, high above Palma de Mallorca in the 13th century estate of Son Vida. The property boasts two pools, full service spa, golf courses, health club and award winning restaurants
- Cocktail reception at Hotel Son Vida overlooking the stunning view of Palma de Mallorca
- An incredible dinner featuring wines of Mallorca and a talk from one of Canada’s most decorated and respected Olympians, Marnie McBean
- A fantastic wine tasting by wine enthusiast Jim Cuddy – not to be missed!
- Grand BBQ and private concert under the stars with Jim Cuddy, Tom Cochrane, Barney Bentall, Anne Lindsay, Devin Cuddy and Sam Polley
- Cycling alongside Olympian Marnie McBean and being led by local guides on some of Mallorca’s best routes (bike rental not included)
- Four-night’s accommodation including breakfast at the 4.5 star Le Meridien Hotel located on the city’s most famous street, Las Ramblas in the heart of Barcelona
- Cocktail reception and dinner at the Catalonia Museum of History on its spectacular rooftop terrace overlooking the Mediterranean Sea
- Wine tasting by David Lawrason, featuring his favourite wines from the area
- Spectacular lunch by the sea while hearing stories from another of Canada’s most celebrated Olympian Mark Tewksbury!
- Experience a spectacular wine tasting and dinner at Pacs del Penedès Torres, followed by a concert by Juno-nominees Danny Michel and Jeremy Fisher!
Optional add-ons (at additional cost):
- Rental of Bike – there will be local guides to take you on the best routes in the world in Mallorca and outside Barcelona
- Golfing some of the most stunning and challenging courses in Mallorca
- Journey with David Lawrason to the remote hills of the Priorat wine region, the birthplace of intense reds that many collectors consider to be Spain’s most elite wines
- Take in either a tapas tour, one of the city’s main culinary specialties, in Barcelona’s Gothic District or David Lawrason’s tapas wine tour
- Guided hikes, wine tastings, cathedral visits led by local guides in Mallorca
- Walking tours, tapas tours, Segway and fat tire tours in Barcelona
- Hot air balloon ride to view the stunning island of Mallorca
Terms and Conditions: ALL SALES ARE FINAL. FLIGHT NOT INCLUDED. Meals only as specified above will be included. Transportation between Mallorca to Barcelona or Barcelona to Mallorca (a 20 minute flight) will be the responsibility of the buyer and is not included with the purchase. Transportation will be provided for the various excursions. These prizes are non-negotiable and not convertible to cash. The prize must be redeemed on the dates specified – no exceptions. The recipient agrees to accept the prizes as is, fully aware of any and all restrictions. The redemption processes of these live auctions are the sole responsibility of the successful bidders. The recipient will be required to sign a waiver of liability regarding GMP Services Inc., Gold Medal Plates, Canadian Olympic Foundation (COF) and Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) and their respective employees and volunteers’ involvement in offering, sponsoring, hosting or arranging the events or activities described as part of the above package. The recipients agree to these terms and conditions. Please note: Trips are suitable for those eighteen years of age and older. If you are unable to attend this trip, the trip is transferable to another couple (based on double occupancy) over the age of 18. Gold Medal Plates is an initiative by GMP Services Inc and is a partner of the COC AND COF.
TAX RECEIPTS – According to CCRA guidelines items purchased in an auction are not eligible for a tax receipt. Items deemed priceless (value cannot be determined because of individuals considered celebrities) are not eligible for tax receipts. No tax receipts will be issued in lieu of your purchase price if you cannot attend.