Buenos Aries – sexy, alive and supremely confident, this beautiful city gets under your skin! This astonishing metropolis that looks a bit like Europe, but with an edgy Latin American twist, is the birthplace of the tango and like the dance itself, is captivating, seductive and bustling with excited energy. Old neighbourhoods are bursting with romantic restaurants, where beef and fabulous red wines are king, and thriving nightlife and Buenos Aires’ European heritage is evident in its architecture, grand wide boulevards and parks.
Your Latin adventure will begin with three nights in Buenos Aires at the 5 star Alvear Art Hotel, member of The Leading Hotels of the World. It is located in the vibrant Retiro district which is bordered by Puerto Madero and Recoleta and is unmistakably (and joyfully) South American! This area famed for its wealth, noticeable in the wide leafy boulevards, and abundance of fine dining restaurants, will be a great home base to experience the best of Buenos Aires. Nearby is the expansive park of Plaza San Martín which is surrounded by some of Buenos Aires most impressive public buildings including Plaza de Mayo, Argentina’s most famous square where the stately Casa Rosada Palace resides. It is here that Eva Perón famously preached to throngs of impassioned Argentines from the balcony!
While in Buenos Aires you will have the opportunity to explore this fabulous city by bike, or on foot, or by dancing your inner passion away as you learn the famous tango! There will be a very special private dinner and tango show to see how the tango is really done and you will explore the incredibly superb wines of Argentina with Canada’s premier wine expert, David Lawrason. We will take a boat trip out to the spectacular Tigre River Delta located just 20 miles outside of Buenos Aires. The Isla El Descanso, located on the Sarmiento River, will become our playground for the afternoon as we explore this oasis in kayaks or walk through their amazing botanical and sculptural gardens. It is here that we will enjoy more wines from Argentina, native cuisine and hear Rosie MacLennan’s incredible journey on defending her gold medal at the 2016 Rio Summer Olympic Games!
We will then journey to the exciting historic capital of Uruguay – Montevideo, a vibrant, eclectic place with a rich cultural life. Stretching 20km from east to west, the city wears many faces, from its industrial port to the exclusive beachside suburb of Carrasco. In the historic downtown business district, art deco and neoclassical buildings jostle for space alongside ageing skyscrapers that appear airlifted from Havana, while to the southeast the shopping malls and modern high-rises of beach communities bear more resemblance to Copacabana. Music, theater and the arts are alive and well here – from elegant older theaters and cozy little tango bars to modern beachfront discos.
In Montevideo your home will be the luxurious and historic Sofitel Montevideo Carrasco and Spa. Set in the exclusive residential district of Carrasco, this 5-star hotel boasts a spectacular beachfront location with direct access to the promenade stretching along the city’s waterfront. The majestic hotel, which also features the exquisite Restaurant 1921, first opened its doors in 1912 and is one of Montevideo’s most iconic buildings. It has been declared a national heritage site and boasts spectacular views over the river and the Stella Maris Church.
While in Montevideo, David will introduce you to the exciting wines of Uruguay. With Canelones, Uruguay’s largest and most significant wine growing area, just 45 minutes from Montevideo, you will visit a variety of wineries including Bodegas Juanico, which is producing a large array of wines including Tannat, Uruguay’s most celebrated grape varietal. We will spend an incredible evening at this historical farm and winery, where we will enjoy their finest at a wine- paired dinner, then finish your South American adventure with an unforgettable concert in their cellar with Alan Doyle, Cory Tetford, Kendel Carson and Dustin Bentall! Alan promises to play ‘Battle of the Bands’ as he and the other musicians take challenges and requests as the musicians of the east challenge the musicians of the west!
Your eight-day, seven-night adventure for two includes:
- Three night’s accommodation, including breakfast, at Alvear Art Hotel in Buenos Aires, a luxurious, 5-star hotel. There is a sophisticated cocktail bar, spa, and fitness center.
- Welcome reception on a rooftop terrace in the heart of Buenos Aires overlooking the spectacular city scape featuring wines of Argentina and presented by David Lawrason
- A private dinner in the historic center of the city in an elegant club founded in 1920! The history of the seductive tango will come alive!
- A spectacular day at The Isla El Descanso located in the Tigre River Delta where you will enjoy wines from Argentina, native cuisine and hear Rosie MacLennan’s incredible journey!
- Four night’s accommodation, including breakfast, at the majestic 5-star Sofitel Montevideo Casino Carrasco and Spa in Montevideo
- Welcome reception at the Sofitel Montevideo on a rooftop terrace overlooking the beachfront where you will be introduced to the wines of Uruguay by David Lawrason.
- A wonderful day visiting wineries in the Canelones region
- Unplugged performances by Alan, Cory, Kendel and Dustin throughout the week.
- Incredible wine paired dinner at Bodegas Juanico followed by a concert in the cellar with Alan, Cory, Kendel and Dustin!
- Flight or ferry between Buenos Aires and Montevideo.
Optional add-ons (at additional cost):
- Explore Buenos Aires and Montevideo on wheels with an urban bike tour – the best way to see and feel the cities!
- Take a tango lesson, enjoy a cooking class or explore the wines of Argentina and Uruguay on additional wine tours and lunches with Canada’s premier wine expert, David Lawrason.
Terms and Conditions: ALL SALES ARE FINAL. FLIGHT RETURN FROM CANADA NOT INCLUDED. Flight or ferry between Buenos Aires to Montevideo is included. Meals only as specified above will be included. Transportation to the various included excursions will be included. These prizes are non-negotiable and not convertible to cash. The prize must be redeemed on the dates specified – no exceptions. The recipient agrees to accept the prizes as is, fully aware of any and all restrictions. The redemption processes of these live auctions are the sole responsibility of the successful bidders. The recipient will be required to sign a waiver of liability regarding GMP Services Inc., Gold Medal Plates, Canadian Olympic Foundation (COF) and Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) and their respective employees and volunteers’ involvement in offering, sponsoring, hosting or arranging the events or activities described as part of the above package. The recipients agree to these terms and conditions. Please note: Trips are suitable for those eighteen years of age and older. If you are unable to attend this trip, the trip is transferable to another couple (based on double occupancy) over the age of 18. Gold Medal Plates is an iinitiative of GMP Services Inc which is partnered with the COC and COF.
TAX RECEIPTS – According to CCRA guidelines items purchased in an auction are not eligible for a tax receipt. Items deemed priceless (value cannot be determined because of individuals considered celebrities) are not eligible for tax receipts. No tax receipts will be issued in lieu of your purchase price if you cannot attend.