Photos From Past Years
La Dolce Vita! Tuscany is one of Italy’s best-loved regions in the world and home for the famous wines of Chianti and Montalcino! It combines a beautiful countryside reminiscent of the landscapes of Renaissance masterpieces, a rich artistic heritage including exquisite art and architecture, a glorious history, world renowned wines and delicious food. You will spend seven nights in the world-renowned five-star Relais & Chateau Borgo San Felice and Winery, once a small eighth century hamlet located in the heart of the Siena countryside and the Chianti region. Set between Florence and Siena, San Felice, winner of numerous wine awards, is also the birthplace of the Super Tuscan and has been awarded “Most Excellent Hotel” Condé Nast Johansens Gold List and 25 Top Resorts by Condé Nast Traveler.
In Tuscany, every picturesque town and village offers unique characteristics, charm, and fantastic regional cuisine. It is known for its splendid landscapes with charming low hills lined with majestic olive groves, ancient vineyards, woods, isolated cypress trees, and beautiful old farmhouses, all part of a landscape that seems to have been carefully tended since the dawn of time. Imagine cycling on the beautiful country roads of Chianti, stopping for a cappuccino in a quaint piazza, led by Italian guides and alongside some of Canada’s most revered Olympians and musicians. It is considered some of the best cycling in the WORLD! Or imagine walking through these ancient vineyards also led by local Italian guides and enjoying wine tastings, museum visits and wonderful lunches in quaint little Tuscan villages.
When you combine Tuscany with Gold Medal Plates it becomes more than magical! Some of the highlights will include a fantastic wine tasting by serious wine enthusiast Jim Cuddy, a spectacular visit to Tolaini Winery, owned by some Canadian friends from Winnipeg where you will taste their wines, enjoy a traditional Tuscan lunch and hear amazing stories of their Rio Olympic journey from Curt Harnett – a Silver and Double Bronze Medalist in track cycling and Chef de Mission for the 2016 Rio Summer Olympic Games and just back from Rio – Melissa Tancredi (Olympic Double Bronze Medalist in Soccer), and Ghislaine Landry (Olympic Bronze Medalist in Rugby) or Georgia Simmerling (Olympic Bronze Medalist in Team Pursuit Track Cycling) You will laugh, cry and be inspired by these amazing athletes who put it all on the line to represent our country!
There will be unplugged performances around the bar by Jim, Barney, Anne, Colin, Devin and Sam. As well, there will be an opportunity to take a coach or enjoy an epic cycle to Borgo’s world-class award winning Montalcino winery, 75 km from Borgo San Felice. There we will enjoy a traditional Tuscan picnic and Brunello wines. And if that isn’t enough the week will culminate with a once-in-a-lifetime private concert under the Tuscan stars with Canada’s own multi-Juno award winner, Canadian Music Hall of Famer and Order of Canada recipient Jim Cuddy with special guests legendary Juno award winner, Barney Bentall, fantastic fiddler Anne Lindsay, amazing guitarist Colin Cripps and Jim’s boys and musicians in their own right, Juno-nominated Devin Cuddy and Sam Polley.
It promises to be an unforgettable retreat under the Tuscan sky. Life just can’t get any sweeter than this in one of the most prized locations on the planet – TUSCANY!
Your eight-day, seven-night adventure for two includes:
- Accommodations, including gourmet breakfast, at the five-star Relais & Chateau Borgo San Felice, a small hamlet dating back to the Middle Ages converted to a magical oasis. The property boasts a large heated pool, state-of-the-art wellness centre and spa, tennis court, 24-hour concierge and the Poggio Rosso and Terrazza di San Felice restaurants. The former a winner of international awards, offers traditional Tuscan dishes imaginatively revisited and accurately prepared using locally sourced ingredients and a carefully-researched wine list that boasts 200 select labels
- Welcome reception, featuring exquisite wines from the San Felice cellar that houses a remarkable 20 different labels, with a range of both red and white wines. The traditional Chianti Classicos, including the vigorous Riserva wines, are accompanied by other prestigious reds such as Campogiovanni, Brunello di Montalcino DOCG, and Vigorello
- Private concert under the stars with Jim Cuddy and special guests Barney Bentall, Anne Lindsay, Colin Cripps, Devin Cuddy and Sam Polley
- A fantastic wine tasting by wine enthusiast Jim Cuddy – not to be missed!
- Cycling, walking and spending evenings around the bar with your guest Olympians: Curt Harnett, Melissa Tancredi and either Ghislaine Landry (April 26 – May 3) or Georgia Simmerling (May 3 – 10)!
- Cycling led by local guides on some of Tuscany’s best cycling routes (bike rental not included)
- Enjoy a traditional Tuscan picnic at Montalcino winery. You can choose to ride to the winery led by our local Italian guides or be taken by coach and enjoy time to explore the classic fairy-tale hilltop town of Montalcino – known as the City of Brunello!
- Enjoy a spectacular wine tasting at Tolaini Winery and traditional Tuscan lunch at our Canadian friend’s winery set on the Tuscan hills! The afternoon will feature amazing stories of their Rio Olympic journey from Curt Harnett, Melissa Tancredi, Ghislaine Landry (April 26 – May 3) or Georgia Simmerling (May 3 – 10). You can choose to ride or hike to the winery.
- Take part as a player or spectator in the 3rd annual Canada vs. Italy soccer match and defend Canada’s title!
Optional add-ons (at additional cost):
- Rental of bike – there will be local guides for some of the best routes in the world
- Guided hikes, wine tastings, museum visits led by local guides
- Hands-on Tuscan cooking class
- Horseback riding in the heart of Tuscany
- Hot air balloon ride to view Tuscany from extraordinary vantage points
Terms and Conditions: ALL SALES ARE FINAL. FLIGHT NOT INCLUDED. Meals only as specified above will be included. Transportation to and from property is not included only as noted above to Montalcino and Tolaini winery excursions. These prizes are non-negotiable and not convertible to cash. The prize must be redeemed on the dates specified – no exceptions. The recipient agrees to accept the prizes as is, fully aware of any and all restrictions. The redemption processes of these live auctions are the sole responsibility of the successful bidders. The recipient will be required to sign a waiver of liability regarding GMP Services Inc., Gold Medal Plates, Canadian Olympic Foundation and Canadian Olympic Committee and their respective employees and volunteers’ involvement in offering, sponsoring, hosting or arranging the events or activities described as part of the above package. The recipients agree to these terms and conditions. Please note: Trips are suitable for those eighteen years of age and older. If you are unable to attend this trip, the trip is transferable to another couple (based on double occupancy) over the age of 18. Gold Medal Plates is an initiative created by GMP Services Inc. founders and is a partner of the Canadian Olympic Committee and the Canadian Olympic Foundation.
TAX RECEIPTS – According to CCRA guidelines items purchased in an auction are not eligible for a tax receipt. Items deemed priceless (value cannot be determined because of individuals considered celebrities) are not eligible for tax receipts. No tax receipts will be issued in lieu of your purchase price if you cannot attend.