Click here to view all Trip Albums
Welcome to a land of untamed natural beauty and wild abandon. Come with a sense of adventure and discover the secrets of Iceland in the land of fire and ice! A trip to Iceland is like stepping into a scene from Game of Thrones, where beyond ‘The Wall’ the wildling people and white walkers roam. The scenes will come to life as you immerse yourself in the ethereal panoramic landscapes and breathe in the pure mountain air of this unspoiled land. The area is a veritable hotbed for recreational activities. The dramatic, rugged landscape features volcanic craters, caves, lava fields, glaciers, geothermal waters, and hot springs. Whether it’s creative culture or mesmerizing vistas and adventure you seek, Iceland is where you’ll find it!
Your adventure in Iceland will include three nights in Reykjavik, Europe’s hippest city, staying at the historic 4.5 star Kvosin Hotel located in the heart of downtown Reykjavik – Kvosin means ‘exact centre’. Reykjavik is known as the little capital with a big heart and bears the distinction of being the world’s northernmost capital. Renowned for its open-minded and energetic culture, rich cultural history and natural beauty, Reykjavik is home to the National and Saga museums, tracing Iceland’s Viking history which dates back to the late 9th century A.D.! Reykjavik has a hip and internationally recognized music and arts scene along with a great food scene which has some interesting delicacies – from puffin to ram’s testicles to fermented shark. And for the night owls….an enthusiastic nightlife!
James Chatto will treat you to a guided culinary tour on foot around the heart of Reykjavik where you will see the highlights of this vibrant city and hear all about the sorted history from elves to Vikings! The tour will end with lunch at a local microbrewery where we will hear from the charismatic Olympic Double Gold and Bronze Medalist and Olympic Broadcaster Catriona Le May Doan. You will also have the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to enter the heart of a volcano! The dormant Þrihnukagigur volcano erupted 4000 years ago and Iceland is the only place on earth where humans can descend the 120 meters into the huge volcanic magma chamber! You can share your amazing adventures over a fantastic dinner and concert by Juno-nominated singer-songwriter, Royal Wood.
Then it is three nights at Hotel Rangá: a member of the prestigious international hotel chain Great Hotels of the World. This countryside hotel is located in the remote and secluded rural paradise in the more or less untouched nature of Southern Iceland and is perfectly located for you to discover and experience everything the South Island has to offer. With much of the country’s agricultural products coming from the area, including one of Iceland’s finest salmon rivers, the restaurant at Hotel Rangá is one of Iceland’s leading gourmet destinations inspired by modern Nordic cuisine.
A celebrity hotspot, Hotel Rangá is the perfect base to explore the Icelandic highlands, glaciers, volcanoes, black sand beaches, fishing villages, magnificent waterfalls, hot springs, cultural centers, historic places and much more. You will have the opportunity to explore the untouched beautiful wilderness on ATV’s, snowmobiles, super jeeps or on the world’s most unique horse breed, the Icelandic horse, a purebred descendant of its Viking ancestors from the 9th century! You will also venture to Westman Islands, located 10km off the south coast of Iceland. These islands are volcanic and became famous in 1963, when Surtsey Island rose out of the sea, and in 1973 when a massive eruption on the main island, Heimaey, forced the evacuation of all five thousand inhabitants for almost a year. With a fascinating history, incredible scenery and spectacular bird life including one of the premier nesting grounds of the North Atlantic puffin, Westman Islands will be a photographer’s playground as we explore the islands on foot, by car, and by boat and stop for a fantastic lunch along the journey and hear Olympic tales of Rio from Olympic Gold Medalist in wrestling, Erica Wiebe. This part of your journey will end with an unforgettable dinner fit for a Viking at the Viking Museum and a concert with multi-Juno award winner and Grammy nominee Ed Robertson and singer-songwriter and Juno-nominee Danny Michel!
Iceland is where myth melds with reality. The energy is palpable on this magical island and combined with Gold Medal Plates it promises to be a wild adventure!
Your seven-day, six-night adventure for two includes:
- Three-nights’ accommodation, including breakfast, at the historic 4.5 star Kvosin Hotel in Reykjavik.
- Welcome reception featuring Icelandic libations and some of the delicacies of Icelandic cuisine
- James Chatto will take you on a guided walking culinary tour of Reykjavik, renowned for its culture, history and natural beauty followed by lunch at a local microbrewery where you will hear stories from Olympic Double Gold and Bronze Medalist and Olympic broadcaster Catriona Le May Doan!
- Enjoy an amazing dinner in a local restaurant in Reykjavik and concert by Juno-nominated, singer-songwriter Royal Wood!
- Three-nights accommodation including breakfast at the elegant riverside setting of Hotel Rangá in the South Island. Rangá was entirely constructed from imported Canadian lumber, from the walls to the furniture to the remarkable bar stools. The location sits at the mouth of the highlands with spectacular access to Hekla, one of the country’s most impressive volcanoes and boasts an acclaimed riverside restaurant for fine dining, massage facilities and outdoor hot tubs heated with geothermal water. The Hotel also has a first class observatory for stargazing.
- A day trip to Westman Islands (10km off the south coast) where we will explore the island and enjoy a fantastic lunch and hear Olympic tales from Rio’s Olympic gold medalist in wrestling, Erica Wiebe.
- An unforgettable dinner fit for a Viking at the Viking Museum and concert with multi-Juno award winner and Grammy nominee Ed Robertson and singer-songwriter and Juno-nominee Danny Michel!
- Enjoy various adventures and spend evenings around the bar with your guest Olympians – Catriona Le May Doan and Erica Wiebe!
- Unplugged performances by Ed Robertson, Danny Michel and Royal Wood!
- Luxury transportation between Reykjavik and Hotel Rangá
Optional add-ons (at additional cost):
- Enter the heart of a volcano! Accompanied by experienced guides, you will descend 120 meters into the Þrihnukagigur volcano that erupted 4000 years ago!
- Opportunity to explore the untouched extremely beautiful wilderness on ATV’s, snowmobiles, super jeeps or on the world’s most unique horse breed, the Icelandic horse (brought to Iceland by Scandinavian settlers in 900 AD)!
Terms and Conditions: ALL SALES ARE FINAL. FLIGHT NOT INCLUDED. Meals only as specified above will be included. Transportation between Reykjavik and Hotel Rangá included only. These prizes are non-negotiable and not convertible to cash. The prize must be redeemed on the dates specified – no exceptions. The recipient agrees to accept the prizes as is, fully aware of any and all restrictions. The redemption processes of these live auctions are the sole responsibility of the successful bidders. The recipient will be required to sign a waiver of liability regarding GMP Services Inc., Gold Medal Plates, Canadian Olympic Foundation (COF) and Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) and their respective employees and volunteers’ involvement in offering, sponsoring, hosting or arranging the events or activities described as part of the above package. The recipients agree to these terms and conditions. Please note: Trips are suitable for those eighteen years of age and older. If you are unable to attend this trip, the trip is transferable to another couple (based on double occupancy) over the age of 18.
Gold Medal Plates is an initiative created by GMP Services Inc. and is a partner of the COC and COF.
TAX RECEIPTS – According to CCRA guidelines items purchased in an auction are not eligible for a tax receipt. Items deemed priceless (value cannot be determined because of individuals considered celebrities) are not eligible for tax receipts. No tax receipts will be issued in lieu of your purchase price if you cannot attend.